As I mentioned before, I went back to school this semester, and one of our assignments was to do an editorial painting that somehow embodied the words "president" and "circus." I was really excited to get that assignment and the idea of using the Republican presidential candidates in some sort of vintage circus poster seemed like a lot of fun.
I know it's been a while. If you're still checking my blog, I really appreciate it.
I wanted to share a little project I've been working on for a few days. I'm always fascinated to see other artists' processes, so I thought I'd show how I usually approach this type of a piece.
If you've had a chance to meet my little daughter you know she's adorable. In her three years of life, I've never done a portrait of her so I recently decided it was time
I started be doing a pretty detailed drawing of her using my favorite Tuscan Red Col-erase Prismacolor pencil.
I scanned the image in and started playing with some different backgrounds. I like to use a lot of texture and pattern which I usually get from scanning scrapbook papers and layering those with other antique textures that I have found or have created.
After getting a good idea of what I want in the background, I start laying in a very flat layer of color. This gives me a good base to start working with.
Next I lay in the darks. Each of these steps is a different layer (in Corel Painter) which I can delete later if I don't need it, or combine with other layers later in the process.
Next I start adding highlights. Throughout the rest of the process I'll jump between shadows and highlights and in doing so, my mid-tones will develop on their own.
I also toned down the background a little bit so that it doesn't compete too much. I want my darkest darks and my lightest lights to be on the portrait so that the focus remains there.
You'll notice I haven't done much in the hair. This is a habit that I have--I tend to spend a lot of time on the face and other areas that are more interesting to me and neglect the hair and clothing. So my next step will be to get her hair to the same stage her face is and then start finishing everything up.
That's all I've got so far. There are still a few more steps before this is a done deal, so check back and hopefully I'll have something up in the next day or so.
I recently did some illustration work for a company called English Language Fundamentals. It's a really great company that creates games and lessons to help teach English in the home and in the classroom. If you have (or teach) children, you might want to check them out: https://www.e-l-fun.com/gamesinfo.aspx
Here a few of the illustrations that I did that can be seen in some of the games and activities.
Here are two digital paintings I did for one of my classes this semester. I was happy with the way they turned out. I've been interested lately in the idea of using "found art" in my digital work by using photographs to create the textures instead of painting them. In these pieces the little boy is basically the only part that I painted-everything else is photographs that I've used with different filters and blending modes in photoshop. Let me know what you think.
If you're interested, here are some of the photos that I used in these pieces.