I know it's been a while. If you're still checking my blog, I really appreciate it.
I wanted to share a little project I've been working on for a few days. I'm always fascinated to see other artists' processes, so I thought I'd show how I usually approach this type of a piece.
If you've had a chance to meet my little daughter you know she's adorable. In her three years of life, I've never done a portrait of her so I recently decided it was time
I started be doing a pretty detailed drawing of her using my favorite Tuscan Red Col-erase Prismacolor pencil.
I scanned the image in and started playing with some different backgrounds. I like to use a lot of texture and pattern which I usually get from scanning scrapbook papers and layering those with other antique textures that I have found or have created.
After getting a good idea of what I want in the background, I start laying in a very flat layer of color. This gives me a good base to start working with.
Next I lay in the darks. Each of these steps is a different layer (in Corel Painter) which I can delete later if I don't need it, or combine with other layers later in the process.
Next I start adding highlights. Throughout the rest of the process I'll jump between shadows and highlights and in doing so, my mid-tones will develop on their own.
I also toned down the background a little bit so that it doesn't compete too much. I want my darkest darks and my lightest lights to be on the portrait so that the focus remains there.
You'll notice I haven't done much in the hair. This is a habit that I have--I tend to spend a lot of time on the face and other areas that are more interesting to me and neglect the hair and clothing. So my next step will be to get her hair to the same stage her face is and then start finishing everything up.
That's all I've got so far. There are still a few more steps before this is a done deal, so check back and hopefully I'll have something up in the next day or so.
Here are two digital paintings I did for one of my classes this semester. I was happy with the way they turned out. I've been interested lately in the idea of using "found art" in my digital work by using photographs to create the textures instead of painting them. In these pieces the little boy is basically the only part that I painted-everything else is photographs that I've used with different filters and blending modes in photoshop. Let me know what you think.
If you're interested, here are some of the photos that I used in these pieces.
So it's time for the Annual Spring Salon at the Springville Art Museum. Basically it's just a general call for entries for any artists in Utah to enter. If you're piece is selected, it hangs in the Springville Art Museum for a few months. I've never entered it, so I thought I'd give it a shot this year.
Unfortunately, the pieces that I would have entered are hanging in the Student Show at BYU, so I decided to paint something new for the Spring Salon. Here are the initial sketches...
I covered my drawings with a layer of medium and then a thin acrylic wash. Once that dried I used a few more washes on the background.
From there I basically left the background alone and focused in on the figures. I think they turned out pretty well.
After finishing the painting (at least for now) I sanded the edges of the illustration board and I really liked the effect it created. I'm not sure how I'm going to hang the pieces, but I like the edges enough that I don't think I'll cover them with a mat.